Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Controversy

Here is a topic of controversy... Caylee Anthony.  If you haven't heard this name, then you haven't read or watched the news in years.  I'm not judging you if this is the case, because, frankly if I weren't so anxious I wouldn't watch or read the news either, but I prefer to know my surroundings (however bad they may be).  A brief synopsis is, Caylee Anthony is a two year old who tragically lost her life and was hidden in the woods by family members.  Her mother, Casey, has been on trial for her murder.  Unfortunately there wasn't enough evidence to totally prove Casey's guilt or innocence.  Last week, Casey was found not guilty on all counts of murder and only guilty of lying to the police.  There was a TON of backlash from people who especially relayed a sense of dismay in the legal system.  As a HUGE advocate of our legal system, I say that the legal system did not fail Caylee.  Unfortunately, the prosecution did not do a good enough job to convince the jury that Casey killed her child.  I'm not saying that she did or she didn't.  I have my own opinions, but I won't get into those.  I just say that before we go accusing the legal system of not working and start making judgments about the jurors, we need to understand that the legal system isn't black and white.  Its very gray.  I don't think the legal system failed Caylee at all.  I think that when charged with the task to prove BEYOND a reasonable doubt, the prosecution fell short.  I didn't watch the trial, so I don't know if when the jury was let out to deliberate the judge read them the jury instructions or what they were.  I think that its VERY sad that there are jurors who are going into hiding because they are getting death threats.  I think that society has to remeber that the jury are your PEERS.  I don't think they were idiots, they made the best decision they could based on the information they were given.  I think its time we give them a break...

No comments:

Post a Comment