Wednesday, July 13, 2011

... And you call yourselves a "Church"?

So today I read a story in The Rock Hill Hearld about Westboro "Church" protesting the funeral of fallen Marine Staff Sgt. T.J. Dudley.  Apparently this group believes that "God hates America and is killing our troops in his wrath."  I mean REALLY Westboro???  As someone who grew up in church, I'm pretty sure Jesus would want us to do unto others as we would have them do unto us.  In fact, I'm fairly certain that's something called The Golden Rule.  Sure, I have trouble following that rule more often than not, and its not something that I am proud to admit.  I guess where I'm going with that is how would they feel if it were one of their family members?  I guess if you have a heart of steel like these people (which is just speculation now) you just don't care about dying loved ones because you're certain that God hates them.  I just come from a belief that we are all saved by the grace of God.  We are all sinners made in His image.  I'm not saying to take away these people's 1st Amendment rights.  I don't believe in that either.  I'm just saying that there is a time and a place for everything.  Personally, I beleive that if there is somebody out there willing to fight and defend my freedoms, I have a duty to them to respect their life or loss of it.  I think we owe it to the families to be understanding.  It does no good to protest the funerals.  It is disrespectful and cruel.  I guess in short, I have one question for Westboro... WWJD???

No comments:

Post a Comment